Lodging and transportation
For incoming exchanges
If you want to know accommodation options, contact the exchange coordination contact:
For formal studies at our university
If you want to know information about housing, if you are a student of an academic program at the university, contact Human Development and Institutional Well-being: firstname.lastname@example.org
Below, you will find basic information on how to get around the city of Medellín and its different means of transportation.
The city of Medellín has two airports:
- José María Córdova International Airport: this is the main international airport in Antioquia and is located in the municipality of Rionegro, approximately 45 minutes from Medellín. From there national and international flights are made.
- Olaya Herrera Airport: it is located in the south-west of the city of Medellín and serves regional and national flights.
- How to get from the airports to the city of Medellín?
Airport Taxis: These taxis pick up students at the Airport and take them directly to the accommodation site.
Approximate cost from the José María Córdova airport: $ 70,000 COP = 33.5 US $ approximately.
José María Córdova Airport Buses: it is a public transport service that you take at the airport.
Approximate cost: $ 15,000 COP = 5.00 US $ approximately.
Route 1 - Las Palmas Avenue: if your lodging place is in the Poblado or Envigado sector, we recommend you take this transport route that goes from Las Palmas Avenue to the San Diego Shopping Center.
Route 2 - Medellín - Bogotá highway: the other route goes down the Medellín - Bogotá highway to the center of Medellín.
Collective taxi: these taxis are located at the exit of the airport and are responsible for picking up four passengers in order to take them at a cheaper cost to the San Diego Shopping Center, located in the city of Medellín.
Approximate cost: $ 20,000 COP = 6.50 US $ approximately.
Integrated Transportation System of Medellín and the Metropolitan Area
- Medellín Metro: the Metro is the mass transportation system that crosses the Metropolitan Area of Medellín. More information
- Urban transport buses: Medellín has a public system of urban buses and minibuses that circulate through all areas of the city, linking routes that connect with the different municipalities near the city. More information
- Taxis: The city has a large number of taxis, all yellow in color easily recognizable by all sectors of the city, these taxis have a meter that indicates the rate in Colombian pesos to pay at the end of the trip, you must always ask to the driver to start the meter when taking the taxi. More information
Inter-municipal transport terminals
The city of Medellín has two land transportation terminals, from which it is possible to access other municipalities in the department of Antioquia and other departments and cities in Colombia.
- North Intermunicipal Transport Terminal: it is located in the northwestern area of the city, in the Caribe neighborhood, Carrera 64C No. 78 - 580. It is accessible from the Caribe Station of the Medellín Metro, it provides bus services for the areas located east and north of the country. More information
- Terminal de Transporte Intermunicipal del Sur: it is located in the southwestern area of the city, in the Guayabal neighborhood, Carrera 65 No. 8B - 91. It is close to the Poblado Station of the Medellín Metro, it provides bus services to areas located at southern Colombia. More information