Facilities and equipment
CES Sabaneta Headquarters
• Research Laboratory: We have the necessary infrastructure and equipment to carry out basic and applied science projects, using tools for the study of infectious agents (parasites, bacteria, fungi and viruses) that cause tropical diseases in humans. For this, we have spaces and tools for the isolation and cultivation of different types of microorganisms and eukaryotic cells, molecular biology tools for obtaining and analyzing DNA, RNA and proteins, serological tools for the identification of antigens or antibodies and light microscopy tools, dark field and fluorescence for direct observation of pathogens.
• IPS ICMT Sabaneta. In the IPS we have a sampling area, a doctor´s office and a vaccination clinic enabled by the Department of Health of Antioquia for general and specialized medical consultation, vaccination, diagnosis and treatment of tropical diseases, for which we offer a portfolio of molecular and serological tests, which have made us a reference laboratory in tropical diseases to which samples of patients from all over the country are sent.
• Medical Entomology Laborator. It is a space with equipment and materials for the identification and characterization of vectors of tropical diseases. There is the biological collection of Medical Entomology, in which specimens of vectors collected in research projects carried out by the CITM in different regions of the country are deposited. Likewise, there is a complete collection of ticks of zoonotic and veterinary interest, which are reference material for CITM researchers and other institutions.
• Industrial Microbiology Laboratory. We have capacity for the isolation, cultivation, identification, quantification and characterization of microorganisms in work environments, surfaces, operators, quality control of raw material and finished product in the cosmetic and food industry.
• Productive centers. This area is responsible for producing inputs and reagents for in vitro and biological diagnosis for internal consumption and / or its commercialization throughout the country. This area is made up of the in vitro reagents production plants and the biological ones.
• In vitro reagent production plant. In this plant we have the authorization of INVIMA for the production and commercialization of 45 references of culture media and dyes for the microbiological diagnosis with sanitary registration of INVIMA. Similarly, cases for molecular diagnosis are produced and recently the sanitary registry was obtained for the Immunotropic diagnostic kit, a tool based on immunoblots that serves for the detection of four infectious agents (Salmonella sp, Brucella sp, Leptospira sp and tissue parasites).
• Biological production plant. It is the first plant for the production of Biologicals certified by INVIMA in Colombia. The CITM works on the optimization of the processes for obtaining the sanitary registry of a tuberculin with strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis prevalent in the country, in the same way the infrastructure is expanded to enable a space for the production of snake antivenom.
We are located inside the Antonio Roldán Betancur Hospital in the municipality of Apartadó. We have an independent building conducive to academia, science and the provision of services. In addition, we have three auditoriums for groups of 20 people, a computer room equipped with computers with Internet access, which are used for the development of specialization programs and academic extension programs of Universidad CES and CITM extension programs offered to the City Hall of Apartadó and other neighboring municipalities.
At the Apartadó headquarters we have a Laboratory for research and clinical diagnosis with emphasis on infectious diseases, two doctor´s offices, a dental office, and a vaccination room. In addition, we have a room for study, an office for the coordination of the branch and an office for administrative tasks.
The Sectional Secretariat of Health of Antioquia has enabled us to provide the services of clinical laboratory, dentistry, pediatrics, nutrition, vaccination and tropical diseases. Patients and samples for medical evaluation and laboratory analysis are sent to our
facilities, coming from all the municipalities of the sub-region of Urabá and some of the adjoining Departments (Chocó and Córdoba).
The branch of the ICMT in Envigado is located on the “Loma del Escobero”, within the premises of the Veterinary and Zootechnics Center of CES University. The veterinary laboratory operates there and it supports the basic and applied research of CES Veterinary Medicine and Zootechnics program and provides its clinical diagnosis services to the CVZ and veterinary clinics of the Aburrá Valley, in addition the veterinary laboratory opened a branch in the Municipality of Puerto Berrío in an agreement among Coregan, Universidad CES and the ICMT.
Services provided by the center
• Basic and applied research in tropical, infectious and zoonotic diseases.
• Formation and training in diagnosis and treatment of tropical, infectious and zoonotic diseases.
• Design, development, production and commercialization of in vitro diagnostic reagents and biological products.
• Diagnosis of tropical and infectious diseases.
• Clinical veterinary diagnosis.
• Analysis of Industrial Microbiology.
• Consultancy in public health and epidemiological surveillance.
Sabaneta (Antioquia) Branch
Carrera 43 A# 52 Sur 99
Phone: (57) (4) 3053500 Ext. 2280
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Envigado (Antioquia) Branch
Calle 36 D sur, Km 4 de la Loma del Escobero, Envigado, Antioquia
Phone: (57) (4) 3360260 Ext. 126 – 118
Hours: Monday to Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Sundays 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Apartadó (Antioquia) Branch
Carrera 98 Nro. 106-176, Barrio Chinita
Phone: (57) (4) 8281708 – 8285606
Bus routes to get there: Route A, Route 1A and Route 1B
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Saturdays 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Información de contacto: Mauricio Restrepo O.
Phone: (57) (4) 3053500 Ext. 2296